When you’re stuck at home with the kids and have nothing to do, don’t despair! It’s easier than you think to grab the crayons, glue, glitter, and paint and let their creativity shine.
What’s even better is that the big kids can get involved too and have just as much fun. Here’s the first part of our Fun-At-Home series that is sure to scare the boredom away.
DIY Tissue Box Monsters
These cute tissue box monsters are a great way to recycle an old tissue paper box! What you’ll need:
- Tissue Box
- Coloured acrylic paint
- White acrylic paint
- Googly eyes
- White cardstock
- Large pom poms
- Black sharpie or marker
- 1 ice-lolly stick
- Craft knife (adults only)
Directions on how to make your monsters
- Pull out any plastic inner lining inside the tissue box before you start.
- Paint the outside of the tissue box with white to prime the box. Adding white will make sure the design of the tissue box doesn’t show through the paint.
- Once dry, paint the outside of the tissue box a colour of your choice, and paint the inside a different color.
- Outline around the “mouth” of the monster (the opening of the tissue box) with a black marker. This will make the mouth pop more.
- For the purple box, cut 1 popsicle stick in half. Paint the pieces purple and let them dry. Glue 2 small googly eyes to the sticks. Make a small slit mark at the top of the box with the craft knife (adults should help with this part) to push the sticks in.
- Glue large googly eyes to the top of the tissue box. You can add one, two, three, or more eyes!
- Cut out large teeth from paper or white cardstock. Glue the teeth to the inside of the tissue box mouth.
- Give your monsters a little more character by gluing some large pom-poms to the top of the tissue boxes.
Now that your monster has come alive, it’s time to add the sound so start perfecting your best monster roar!
Don’t forget to show us your monster over on our Facebook page.